Diller's $48.30 bid for MGM draws securities probe, resetting risk around deal certainty
Read source articleWhat happened
Barry Diller has made a bid to acquire MGM Resorts International at $48.30 per share, a price aligning with the upper end of our prior valuation scenarios but now clouded by a securities law firm's investigation. The probe, announced by Bleichmar Fonti & Auld, raises questions about whether the board adequately considered shareholder interests or whether the offer undervalues the company. At $48.30, the bid represents a roughly 29% premium to the $37.49 price used in our last master report, which rated MGM a WAIT due to Las Vegas Strip weakness and high fixed claims. Our prior analysis had flagged a bull case of $48 per share, suggesting the bid may capture much of the upside, but the investigation introduces procedural risk. The market now faces a binary outcome: either the deal closes at $48.30 or the stock reverts to fundamentals, which remain challenged.
Implication
If the $48.30 bid closes, it would crystallize value at levels previously considered only in a bull case, offering an exit near our high-end estimate. However, the securities law firm investigation introduces uncertainty about the deal's fairness and could delay closing or invite litigation that pressures the acquirer to raise the price. Given MGM's weak Strip fundamentals and heavy fixed obligations, a failed deal would likely send the stock back toward our base case of $40 or below, erasing much of the current premium. Investors should monitor the board's response, any proxy disclosures, and whether other bidders emerge, as these will determine the probability of completion. Until greater clarity emerges, we would not chase the stock above the offer price, and existing holders may consider using the announcement as an opportunity to reduce risk.
Thesis delta
Our previous WAIT thesis hinged on Strip stabilization and BetMGM cash returns, but the takeover bid shifts the primary driver to deal execution. If the merger closes at $48.30, it would validate our bull case and deliver a substantial premium, converting the thesis from operating recovery to event-driven arbitrage. However, the investigation and regulatory risks mean the outcome is not assured, so we adjust our stance to reflect a balanced view of deal probability versus fundamental downside.
Confidence
medium