VKTX•September 30, 2026 at 9:00 PM UTCPharmaceuticals, Biotechnology & Life Sciences

VKTX Soars on Positive Maintenance Data; Financing and Oral Phase 3 Still Key

Read source article

What happened

Viking Therapeutics' stock surged 36% after reporting positive results from a maintenance clinical trial for its lead obesity candidate VK2735, validating the durability signal that was a key near-term catalyst in our prior WAIT thesis. The data likely reduces uncertainty around tolerability and long-term efficacy for the injectable formulation, which is now in Phase 3 with enrollment complete, but it does not directly address the company's pressing financing needs or the oral Phase 3 initiation timeline. As of our last report, Viking had $603 million in cash and guided runway through at least June 2027, but quarterly burn exceeded $114 million, and the shelf registration expired July 26, 2026, with no announced replacement, raising the risk of constrained access to capital. Meanwhile, the competitive landscape has intensified with Eli Lilly's oral GLP-1 drug Foundayo approved and priced at $149/month, placing a higher bar on Viking's oral program, which management still aims to start Phase 3 in Q4 2026. The stock's jump to around $40 per share now prices in more optimistic base-case execution, but unresolved financing and oral timeline risks warrant caution rather than chasing momentum.

Implication

Over the next six to twelve months, Viking's value will hinge on whether it can secure adequate financing to advance both injectable and oral programs without excessive dilution, and whether the oral Phase 3 initiation occurs as guided in Q4 2026. Positive maintenance data strengthens the case for partnership discussions, but the company has not confirmed any deal, and the shelf expiry creates near-term uncertainty. If Viking fails to replace the shelf or raise capital, it may be forced to slow the oral program, which would undermine the bull case and likely lead to a sharp re-rating. Conversely, if the company announces a financing solution and initiates oral Phase 3 on time, the stock could sustain levels above $40, especially if oral data later shows competitive tolerability. Until those checkpoints are cleared, the risk-reward is less attractive at the current price, and we would prefer to wait for entry near $30 or confirmation of financing and trial start.

Thesis delta

The positive maintenance data reduces the probability of failure for the injectable program and supports a higher base-case value, shifting our stance from outright WAIT to a more balanced view, but the thesis remains WAIT until financing and oral Phase 3 initiation are resolved. Specifically, we raise our base-case implied value from $31 to $35 and narrow the bear-case probability, but the unresolved shelf expiry and competitive pressure for oral keep us from upgrading to a buy. The stock's post-data price already reflects much of this improvement, so the margin of safety at $40 is thin.

Confidence

Moderate